The Importance of Legally Required Annual & 5 Yearly Safety Checks
Each year where it has been appointed and is contracted to do so, QHS arranges suitable appointments with our Client’s customers to gain access to residents' homes for essential annual gas heating safety checks, known as Landlord Gas Safety Regulations checks if you have any gas appliances.
In addition, QHS ECIR trained electrical engineers undertake Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) every 5 years, whether or not you have an electric heating system Having your appliances checked and/or serviced helps to ensure your household's ongoing safety.
In the case of gas heating systems, UK Legislation states that the service must be carried out once a year without fail, so it is essential that you please make every effort to keep this appointment or contact QHS immediately to make an alternative appointment. Should you fail to keep your appointment or fail to arrange an alternative date, we are then obligated to refer the matter back to your Landlord, who will then take appropriate action to ensure these checks are done as they are under a legal obligation to do so.
What You Need To Do In An Emergency
National Grid advise that you call the Gas Emergency Service if you have a gas or carbon monoxide emergency, or if a pipeline is struck (even if no gas leak has occurred) on 0800 111 999.
If you think that you can smell Gas inside your property, turn off your supply at the gas meter, fully ventilate the area by opening windows and doors, and immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service Number on 0800 111 999.
Heating Safety At Home
QHS take Safety very seriously and it is one of our 3 core values of Quality, Honesty and Safety. To help us keep you safe in your home please kindly ensure that you allow us to gain access to your property on an annual basis, and every 5 years so that our qualified and trained gas and electrical engineers can carry out the respective safety checks on your central heating and all of your appliances.
In terms of you also looking after your own safety, please also do remember that an air vent that supplies combustion air to an appliance must never be blocked up, as it this can cause serious health issues, such as Carbon Monoxide poisoning.