Safety should be your primary concern when it comes to your home, pets, family and friends, so that you or anyone else you allow in your dwelling does not endanger your family, your home, or indeed any animals that live with you, or even your neighbours by neglecting this important task if your home is linked or surrounded by other homes, which is common in social housing..
According to data from inspections logged on the Gas Safe Register, about 1 in 5 of every home in the UK is equipped with dangerous gas appliances, that may result in carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires, and explosions. It’s hard to determine whether or not the gas work in your house is safe and legal without an annual gas safety check being undertaken by a Gas Safe Registered qualified gas engineer.
Only Gas Safe certified engineers (like all QHS gas engineers) are permitted to legally do gas work on a property, whether it be on appliances, flues, or pipelines. According to a recent poll conducted by the Gas Safe Register, incredibly 1 in 7 of individuals planning home renovations unwisely want to do the work themselves on projects that potentially have an influence on gas safety.
Electrical safety like gas safety can be a matter of life and death, as faulty appliances can start fires or cause electrocution. In addition to Electrical Safety Checks QHS also undertake LGSR annual gas safety checks, service heating appliances, check smoke alarms, heat sensors and carbon monoxide detectors.
In order to prevent any DIY tragedies.........
• Please never attempt to install, repair or re-position gas appliances such as a boiler, oven, or stove on your own; it is always advisable to use a Gas Safe qualified engineer who has the necessary expertise. For further information on Gas Safety in the home go to https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/gas-safety/
• Before drilling, hammering or screwing into a wall or floor, please ensure you use a pipe, cable, or stud detector to see what’s behind the wall or floor.
In addition stay vigilant........
• In your home never block or cover any air vents. Eventually, if your flue gets clogged, these gases will escape back into your living spaces, putting you, your family and your pets at risk of carbon monoxide exposure.
• Be aware of the 6 primary symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, collapse, and loss of consciousness.
• Keep alert for the indicators of a potentially harmful gas appliance include a slow yellow flame, black markings or stains on the surface of the appliance, increased condensation on the surface of the appliance, and an inconsistent pilot light.
• If you suspect the presence of a hazardous gas, it is essential to seek professional assistance. Call the Gas Emergency Service Number 0800 111 999 for assistance (it is a Freephone Number).
Falls are sadly the leading cause of death when it comes to home accidents. They make up about a third of all fatalities here in the UK. The elderly are most affected by this type of accident. Therefore avoid creating trip hazards or leaving slippery surfaces, for example leaving water on floor tiles unmopped up, as not doing so could result in a nasty fall and injury.
To prevent fires, be sure to have working smoke alarms in the house tested regularly, and a fire plan with safety protocols in place.
Several household items present poisoning risks, such as cleaning and maintenance supplies, dishwasher tablets and medications. Keeping these things locked away and out of reach of children can reduce the chance of them being accidentally ingested.
Mould can grow when water condenses onto surfaces, like walls and window frames, and is directly related to humidity within your home. Mould can lead to allegies, the symptoms of which can include sneezing, itchy eyes and headaches.
For all the above reasons and many more besides, the safety and welfare of yourself and any family living with you should always be your number one concern, and by following the above simple steps, you will be going a long way to guaranteeing that you, your family, your pets and your neighbours all stay safe.